Friday, November 25, 2011

Foodie Friday! Coq Au Vin in the Slow Cooker


Coq au Vin in the Slow Cooker

Ingredients:

4 boneless chicken breasts (would have been better to leave bone in)
2 teaspoons herbs de Provence (no idea what this is so I used rosemary)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 cups pearl onions, peeled* (I did this but should have just used regular onions or frozen pearls)
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced (next time, I will leave whole)
3 carrots, sliced (I used baby carrots and didn't cut them)
1 cup dry white wine (I used two cups...don't judge)
1 cup sodium-reduced chicken broth
3 tablespoons tomato paste

Method:

Place chicken in slow cooker that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
Season with herbs de Provence, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Add onions, mushrooms and carrots.
Whisk together in a medium bowl the wine, broth and tomato paste.
Pour over chicken and vegetables. 
Cover and cook on high for 5½ hours or on low for 7½ hours.
Serve over egg noodles or with mashed potatoes. (I didn't do this)
4 servings

Okay, that picture is not mine because I forgot to take one.  Boo...but this smelled DELICIOUS!!! and tasted even better! 
I also  didn't serve it over the noodles or mashed potatoes.  I'm sure it would be great that way, but I'm counting calories and it really didn't need anything!!
Try it, you'll like it!
Tammy

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...