Friday, October 28, 2011

Foodie Friday - Crockpot Bean Soup





YUMMY!!!!
Please don't think this is your everyday bean soup...I love me some bean soup, but this isn't creamy like that.  It is chicken broth based and it is delicious!  I based this on a Hungry Girl recipe called What's Shakin' Beany Bacon Soup.  I changed it up though and cooked mine in a crock.  This is what I did...

Bean/Sausage Soup:
1 large jar (32 oz?) of great northern beans (not Sam's club large; just grocery store large - the one in the glass jar)
1 bag (10oz?) of baby carrots
2 heaping spoonsful of chicken stock base - you could also use boullion but I like to buy a jar of this at Sam's and have it on hand - it is a really good stock base!
1 large onion
2 t.Rosemary
2 t.Thyme
1 lb crumbled turkey sausage (I cheated and used the packaged pre-cooked kind - easy, peasy!)
fresh spinach - hard to tell how much I grabbed three handfuls.

Put beans in crock and then rinse jar and add stock base to jar and fill about 3/4 full of water.  Shake until base is dissolved and add to crock.  Roughly chop onion and add that to crock along with carrots, rosemary and thyme.  Set crock up for cook on low for 8 hours.  Add spinach and let sit in crock for about 15 mins or until spinach withers a bit.  Enjoy!!!!

This is a great fall soup and my family all enjoyed it with homemade bread.  My son and I also added some hot sauce....yum!  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...